I have SEVENTEEN days off of work for Christmas! Seriously, I don't even know what to do with myself. Last night I organized my scrapbook box. And now I feel like a nerd for not only admitting that I have a box of scrapbooking stuff, but I actually have enough scrapbook stuff that it occasionally needs organizing. Oh well.
I also went through some old journals. I found a prayer journal I kept when I was 13 and discovered two things about my child self:
- I was more spiritually mature at age 13 than I am now.
- I had better handwriting at age 13 than I do now.
Honestly though, it was so interesting to see how much my prayers have changed over the past 11 years. As a child I mainly prayed for my family, friends, and people who don't know Jesus. As an adult, my prayers have become more self-centered and filled with worry. What a shame. My prayer this Christmas is to regain my childlike faith, and to just be able to marvel at the majesty and splendor of my King.
You're probably wondering why on earth I'm posting taco salads the week of Christmas instead of something, well, Christmasy. Let me tell you - because when January 1 comes around and everyone starts joining gyms and diets, this will be a perfect recipe to kickstart your new year's resolution. This is a transitional recipe. You can't just go straight to grilled chicken and steamed veggies after eating Christmas casseroles and such. You need a recipe that will meet you where you're at and take you where you want to go. And this is it. Do you understand what I'm saying?
Also, these are a lot of fun to assemble and easy to transport. Perfect for work lunches and making your coworkers jealous.
mason jar taco salad
Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 10 mins
Total time: 40 mins
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 1 cup salsa
- 6 cups romaine lettuce
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 2 cups black beans
- 2 cups corn
- dressing of your choice (I used Briannas Homestyle Chipotle Cheddar, delish!!)
- 5 large mason jars
- Brown your meat. Drain the fat and add the taco seasoning and salsa. Now the assembling!
- Add 2 tbsp of dressing to each mason jar. Then add 1/4 cup of black beans and 1/4 cup of corn. Then add 1 cup of meat. Then add some cheese, tomatoes, and avocados. Then to finish you add the romaine.
- *Tip: I like my beef to be warm, so when it was time to eat, I pulled the lettuce, tomatoes, avocado and cheese out and put it on my plate. Then I scooped the meat out into a small bowl and microwaved it for 45 seconds. Then added the meat to my salad and finished it with the beans, corn and dressing.
- *Tip: If you have small mason jars, you can keep the romaine in a separate zip lock and still have an easy transportable lunch!