Since the foodborne illness outbreak at Chipotle, I decided I should probably learn to replicate my favorite meal there.
YES! This recipe makes 2 pounds of meat, so I was able to eat about 6 servings, and put 4-5 servings in the freezer. This barbacoa tastes a lot like Chipotle's. Especially paired with some cilantro-lime rice, guac, salsa, corn & black beans.
This is delicious, and super easy. Crockpots are delightful. Look at this magic!
- 3 pounds chuck roast
- 2-3 tbsp minced garlic
- 3 chipotles in adobe sauce, chopped
- 1 4oz can chopped green chilis
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup beef broth
1. Trim the fat off the roast, and cut into large chunks.
2. Put the meat in the crockpot, and then add the rest of the ingredients.
3. Give it a few stirs, and cook on high for 3-4 hours.
4. Use 2 forks to shred the meat. Let it sit another 15 minutes in the crockpot after shredding to soak up all the flavor.
5. Serve with cilantro rice, black beans, salsa, guac, cheese, tomatoes, lettuce, fresh lime. Or make barbacoa nachos (or tacos)!